With the help of our food provider Sodexo, Truman State University has been able to continually innovate and work on our dining impact. By giving students more options, reusing materials, and buying locally, we know we are headed toward a more sustainable future.
Food and Beverage Purchasing
A big difference Truman has made in recent years is a stronger commitment to buying locally produced foods. The University Farm also sells a percentage of its crops to Truman’s dining halls for consumption, and additionally, Sodexo’s suppliers out of Des Moines, IA and Olathe, KS ensure a large supply of local products from producers that follow the Guidelines for Good Agricultural Practices and Good Handling Practices.
During the summer and fall of 2016, the Truman State University Farm hired two Farm-to-Table Vegetable Production Interns to grow, maintain, and market local produce directly to students through the “Market on the Mall” program. Much of the food was marketed directly to students on the mall, but a percentage was also sold directly to Sodexo to be served in the dining halls.
Low Impact Dining
Truman State and Sodexo realize the importance of controlling the impact that our dining has. Here are a few examples of our strides:
- We practice trayless dining in all of the dining halls.
- We offer strong vegan options, including a fully stocked salad bar that is open at every mealtime.
- Our napkins are made with 100% recycled content.
- We have a reusable mug program, one of which every incoming freshman receives for free at the start of their Truman career. Students using their mugs receive a discount on their drink purchase.
- Sodexo also sells re-usable containers to help avoid using Styrofoam to-go boxes.
- Perishable food is donated over breaks from classes to local nursery homes and food depots.
- Compost is taken from all three residence dining halls and the Student Union Building.
- We also support Meatless Monday and No-Fry Fridays to help reduce our impact.
- We employ sustainable hygiene options, including a floor cleaner that does not require soap.